IHDPInternational Human Dimensions Programme on Global Environmental Change
|Type of Structure:||program|
|Parent Organisations:||ISSC, ICSU|
|Child Organisations:||ESG, GECHS, IHOPE, KLASICA, LOICZ, START, UGEC
No more in operation: ESSP, IDGEC, IT, LUCC
|Duration :||1990 to 2014 COMPLETED|
|Contact Address:||Dr. Anantha Duraiappah
Phone: +49 (0)228 815 0600
General information and objectivesThe IHDP ceased its operation. The core projects of the IHDP may move to the integral program Future Earth.
The Objectives of the IHDP were:
Individuals and societies are experiencing the impact of the changes in their natural environment upon their own daily social, economic and political situations. These impacts may include water and food shortages, natural disasters, health risks, conflicts about resources and massive migration from areas most severely affected by environmental change.
Key Questions of the IHDP:
- How do humans interact with the environment?
- What are the consequences?
- How can individuals and societies mitigate or adapt to environmental change?
- How will policy responses to such changes influence present and future economic and social conditions?
From these questions the following key issues evolve:
- Social dimensions of ressource use
- Perception and assessment of the environment
- Impact of local, national and international social, economic, and political structures and institutions
- Energy use
- Industrial growth
- Land use
- Environmental security and sustainable development
IHDP presently has the following Core Science Projects:
- Earth System Governance (ESG)
- Global Environmental Change and Human Security (GECHS) - FINISHED
- Global Land Project (GLP) (co-sponsored with IGBP)
- Integrated History of People on Earth Project (IHOPE)
- Integrated Risk Governance Project (IRG)
- Industrial Transformation (IT) - FINISHED
- Land-Ocean Interactions in the Coastal Zone (LOICZ) (co-sponsored with IGBP)
- Urbanization and Global Environmental Change (UGEC)
- Global Carbon Project (GCP) (an ESSP Project)
- Global Wager Systems Project (GWSP) (an ESSP Project)
- Global Environmental Change and Food Systems (GECAFS) (an ESSP Project)
The IHDP core projects are a key mechanism used to:
1) identify and generate new IHDP research activities in priority areas,
2) promote international collaboration, and
3) link policy-makers and researchers.
Reports on Research and Monitoring activities in Switzerland related to the IHDP
- Human Dimensions of Global Environmental Change Research in Switzerland (Report for the ENRICH-Symposium Bonn 23 and 24 November 1998).
- Human Dimensions of Global Environmental Change Research and Monitoring in Switzerland (Swiss National IHDP Committee and ProClim, 1996).
For further details, link to the IHDP Home Page
Last update: 4/19/16
Source of data: ProClim- Research InfoSystem (1993-2020)