MRIGlobal Change and Mountain Regions - Mounain Research Initiative
|Type of Structure:||coordinated project|
|Duration :||2001 to present|
|Contact Address:||Dr. Carolina Adler (nee Roman)
Executive Director MRI
Mountain Research Initiative
University of Bern
Phone: +41 (0) 31 631 51 41
General information and objectivesThe Mountain Research Initiative (MRI) is a non-profit organization and network that promotes global change research in mountain regions across borders and disciplines through connection and collaboration – with a view to supporting pathways towards sustainable mountain development.
Through working groups, events, and online platforms, the MRI brings practitioners and researchers from diverse disciplines and backgrounds together. The MRI works with the mountain research community and society more broadly to identify research priorities and possibilities for common action, and supports this common action by providing targeted funding and administrative assistance. The MRI also strives to keep the research community informed, and to work with research organizations and funding agencies to ensure that mountain global change topics are recognized and addressed.
Through its activities, the MRI aims to achieve the following:
1. Researchers working on global change in mountain regions form a more coherent and interactive community.
2. Processes are in place that lead the mountain research community to identify and develop critical research topics.
3. Mountain observations become more systematic, comprehensive, and pertinent.
4. The mountain research community adopts a systems approach to mountain research.
5. Action is taken to support the development of the next generation of researchers interested in global change in mountains.
6. Mountain concerns are visible within existing scientific organizations and events.
7. The mountain research community engages in pertinent policy processes.
For more information, please see the Mountain Research Initiative website: www.mountainresearchinitiative.org
For further details, link to the MRI Home Page
Last update: 2/27/19
Source of data: ProClim- Research InfoSystem (1993-2021)